Double Taxation Agreement Uk Spain

The impact of the double taxation treaty depends on your individual circumstances. In addition, tax rates and reliefs may change. That`s why we highly recommend seeking professional advice on how to make sure you`re tax compliant, both in the UK and Spain. In the case of the United Kingdom and Spain, it is possible that persons may be legally classified in both countries under the national tax regimes of each country. To overcome this complication, the double taxation convention between the United Kingdom and Spain was drawn up. We explain what you need to know about the agreement. In general, you can only be a tax resident in one country. However, it is certainly not excluded that you will respect the national criteria defined by two different countries. In this scenario, your tax obligations are defined by a double taxation agreement. These depend on where you have your permanent home, your vital interests or your habitual residence. If it is not clear, it depends on your nationality, which brings me to the answer to the last question.

By paying what you owe in non-resident taxes to the Spanish tax system, you are entitled to relief equal to the same (or very similar) amount from HMRC. This application of the double taxation treaty ensures that you will only be taxed once on your income, albeit by a retroactive deduction of your tax contributions paid in Spain. Hello, I have the same problem, my local government pension is taxable in Great Britain. This year, the tax authorities received a letter requesting the tax on the subject in 2015, accompanied by interest. I was then fined for late payment because I was out of the country and only received the letter when I returned. The tax authorities requested a certificate from HMRC, which did not want to know and stated that it would not issue certificates and that it was referring the Spanish tax administration to the double taxation convention. Following further phone calls, an email was published saying that this pension was taxable in the UK. The accountant appealed, but he still had to pay. Ábaco Advisers has been assisting our clients in tax matters in Spain since 1999. With a detailed and up-to-date knowledge of the tax system, we help you manage your tax obligations in Spain according to your individual circumstances. For a free consultation, without obligation, fill out this form. A member of our team will contact you at a favorable time.

As you will see, on this blog, I take a break on the cost of living in Spain to talk about a topic that I promised a few weeks ago in an article on Spanish residency: the double taxation agreement between Great Britain and Spain. Hi Chris, thank you for your message. I`m afraid my knowledge of hmrc taxation isn`t as 🙁 I`m sorry I can`t help you do this, but this seems to be something you should welcome with a qualified professional who has a full knowledge of the UK tax system (especially given the frequency of changes). Unless there are other blog readers who can give you advice?? With my kind greetings, Simon The 24-page document of the Double Taxation Convention defines which of the taxes in both countries can benefit from a discharge. In Spain (with the corresponding terms in Spanish): 1 In 2013, the United Kingdom and Spain renewed their double taxation agreements. First launched in 1976, this agreement between the two nations defines how individuals should be taxed in the case of the following two scenarios: after all, the theory is that a person does not pay twice for the same income. Therefore, if you are in one of these two categories, the double taxation treaty allows you to account for a tax return by the other (by deductions and allowances); This means that you should not pay too much in your “Contracting State”.. .

. .

No Comments, Comment or Ping